The Star Wars Battlefront II public beta recently ended and it raised questions about how the final game would handle its crate system. In a blog post talking about the final game, EA studios DICE, Criterion, and Motive thanked players for participating and outlined how they are adding layers to the Star Card/crate systems so that Star Cards aren't only available in crates like in the beta, those who pay for currency to buy crates can't jump ahead to the best Star Cards, new ways to get crates, and that the game's best items are only available through in-game achievements.
Here's a list of the larger points direct from the blog:
- There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes, Outfits, and Victory Poses.
- As a balance goal, we're working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
- Crates will include a mix of of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.
- Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.
- If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.
- You have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.