In a new-look Indie World presentation live-streamed globally today, Nintendo showcased an exciting selection of independent games that are coming to Nintendo Switch in the near future.
Innovative first-person shooter SUPERHOT will be available to purchase on Nintendo eShop today, as will Hotline Miami Collection, containing both instalments of the high-octane Hotline Miamiseries. Addictive multiplayer roguelike Risk of Rain 2, from Gearbox Publishing, was revealed as coming to Nintendo Switch this summer, alongside award-winning action RPG Torchlight II coming 3rd September, and the intriguing and soulful adventure game Eastward, from Pixpil and Chucklefish, coming early 2020. Furthermore, the presentation finished with the announcement that critically acclaimed action-platformer Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition will be coming to Nintendo Switch on 27th September.
You can watch the Indie World – 19.08.19 video in its entirety and get further information via the Indie World Hub on the official Nintendo website.
Here’s a rundown of the games featured in today’s Indie World video:
- Explore the mysterious and beautiful forest of Nibel in the visually stunning action-platformer Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, developed by Moon Studios and published by Xbox Game Studios. Winner of multiple prestigious awards, the game tells the tale of a young orphan destined for heroics, and features hand-painted artwork, meticulously animated character performance and a fully orchestrated score. The Definitive Edition will also feature numerous new features, and is scheduled to launch on Nintendo Switch on 27thSeptember.
- The Hotline Miami Collection features both games in the neon-soaked, brutally challenging Hotline Miami series, developed by Dennaton Games and published by Devolver Digital. Mixing hard-boiled gunplay and skull-crushing close combat with a grippingly surreal and mysterious storyline, this heavy-hitting two-pack of violent top-down action releases today on Nintendo Switch.
- Blurring the lines between cautious strategy and unbridled mayhem, SUPERHOT from SUPERHOT Team is an innovative and stylish first-person shooter in which time only moves when the player moves. With no regenerating health bars or conveniently placed ammo drops, players must shoot, slice and manoeuvre their way through a hurricane of slow-motion bullets. SUPERHOT releases on Nintendo Switch today.
- Risk of Rain 2, developed by Hopoo Games and published by Gearbox Publishing, is the sequel to classic multiplayer roguelike Risk of Rain, adding an extra dimension and more challenging action. Players can take on the game solo, or team up with friends to fight their way through hordes of monsters, unlock new loot and find a way to escape the planet. Risk of Rain 2 releases on Nintendo Switch in summer 2019.
- Torchlight II, developed by Panic Button/Runic Games and published by Perfect World Entertainment, is an award-winning action RPG that is releasing for Nintendo Switch on 3rdSeptember. The game offers solo adventuring or online multiplayer for up to four players, with a huge world to explore full of bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures and sinister secrets. Tons of character customisation options, plus level randomisation and a New Game Plus, means Torchlight II is packed to the brim with replayability. The Nintendo Switch version includes an exclusive pet in the form of a chubby pink unicorn!
- Discover a beautifully detailed post-apocalyptic world in Eastward, an adventure game with RPG elements from developer Pixpil and publisher Chucklefish. In a near-future society on the brink of collapse, a hardworking miner called John discovers a young girl named Sam in a secret underground facility. This unlikely pair will embark on an emotional journey to discover the truth, travelling across a wonderfully weird world and exploring bustling towns, curious campsites and shady forests. Eastward is scheduled to arrive on Nintendo Switch in 2020.
- Freedom Finger from Wide Right Interactive is a music-driven, side-scrolling shooter that sends players blasting, punching and smashing their way across 37 levels of crazy cartoon action. Shoot ‘em up, punch ‘em and smash ‘em up when Freedom Finger launches for Nintendo Switch in autumn 2019.
- Make the trip you always wanted in action-adventure game The Touryst from Shin’en. Players will have the chance to discover exotic islands, explore ancient monuments, climb into deep mines and uncover secret passageways. The Touryst is set to launch on Nintendo Switch in November 2019.
- Skellboy, from developer Umaiki Games and publisher Fabraz, is an action RPG in which players can swap out not only their weapons and equipment, but their body parts too! As an accidentally resurrected hero from ancient times, players will set out on an epic journey across a vibrant fantasy world, set to a background of rocking chiptune tracks. Skellboy hacks and slashes its way onto Nintendo Switch on 3rd December.
- Developed by Polygon Treehouse and published by United Label, Röki is an adventure game inspired by Scandinavian folklore; a dark contemporary fairy tale underpinned by a touching narrative, alluring art style, ancient puzzles and atmospheric exploration. With its non-violent gameplay, accessible controls and universal themes, Röki will take players on a beguiling journey through a magical wintry wilderness. It is coming to Nintendo Switch in winter 2019.
- Developed and published by frecle, Youropa is a gravity-defying puzzle-platform paint adventure about breaking rules, being upside down and thinking outside the box. When Youropa is torn apart, the protagonist must use their unique abilities to navigate all sides of a strange fragmented city, in order to restore it to its former glory. With physical puzzles, riddles, ferocious enemies, environmental hazards and more, it’s a mind-bending adventure that will challenge players’ perception of the third dimension. Youropa will be coming to Nintendo Switch in winter 2019.
- Dragons have taken over the Earth and it’s up to a 14-year old schoolkid and a freelance photographer to stop them! EarthNight, from Cleaversoft, is a beautifully hand-illustrated 2D platformer about the dragon apocalypse, and a love letter to classic arcade games. Humans have been exiled to space, forced to live in orbit above the planet – but Sydney and Stanley have had enough! They’ve decided to skydive back to Earth, taking out as many dragons as they can along the way. Jump and dash through dragon-infested skies when EarthNightlaunches on Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Dungeon Defenders: Awakened from Chromatic Games is the newest instalment in the popular Dungeon Defenders franchise. Dungeon Defenders: Awakened’s gameplay is the ultimate combination of action RPG and strategic tower defence. Players can choose from four unique heroes and join forces with friends in up to four-player split-screen cooperative gameplay, fighting off wave after wave of enemies with an assortment of weapons, abilities, towers, barricades, traps and auras. Dungeon Defenders: Awakened launches as a timed console exclusive on Nintendo Switch in February 2020.
- From Easy Day Studios Pty Ltd, Skater XL is the next evolution in skateboarding video games that brings the fun, creativity and culture of skateboarding to the digital world. Created by a team of passionate skateboarders, Skater XL has unique controls that allow players to add style and expression to their tricks without the limits of pre-made animations. Skater XL comes to Nintendo Switch in 2020.
The presentation also included a quick-fire rundown of yet more great indie titles that are coming to Nintendo Switch in the near future. Two of those titles – Creature in the Well and Northgard – are available for digital pre-order from today. For a summary of all the content from today’s presentation, be sure to check out the Indie World – So Many Games! digest video. Further information on the extensive library of indie games on Nintendo Switch can be found by visiting the Indie World Hub.